Friday, January 18

Five Dollar Family Feed: Pizza Boats

Hello Friends!

This has been a favorite among my kiddos each time I've made them.  I tend to make them on Friday night as they are easy, cheap and sets the stage for a relaxing weekend (again they are so easy to make).

You've probably made a version of this before but did you really think about how inexpensive this meal is?  Not only that, but our family of 4 made this into two meals.  We had them for dinner on a Friday night, then had leftovers for lunch on Sunday after church.  Just pop them back into the oven or toaster oven for 5-10 minutes at 400 degrees and you're set!!!




Peddi Girl's Pizza Boats

French Bread (sliced in half lengthwise)
Pizza Sauce
Pepperoni
Tomato (sliced very thin - optional)
Black Olives
Onion
Mozzarella Cheese
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling

  •  Preheat oven to 425 degrees, rack on middle row
  • Lay french bread slices onto 9x13 pan.  Spread tomato sauce onto each slice.  Top with mozzarella cheese
  • Top with pepperoni, tomato, black olives and onion (or your favorite pizza toppings).
  • Drizzle evoo on each slice
  •  Bake for about 10 min, until cheese is melted and golden.


That's it, enjoy!!!


I will give you an update on this particular recipe.  I felt as though my french bread was a lot of bread, if you know what I mean.  I'm going to experiment with different breads to get the right one for me.  The other option would be to slice the bread, then scoop out some of the breading from the loaf.  Not a lot, but just enough to make it less thick.  This of course is a personal preference as the Mr. and kiddos loved them just the way they are.

Also, here's a frugal tip.  I like to make my own marinara sauce and freeze it in individual portions.  However, we all have crazy nights, no marinara in the freezer or just want it to be extra easy.  So for those evenings, I open a can of pizza sauce, use what I need and then freeze the extra.  I usually get 3 pizzas out of one can.  So put them in separate baggies, mark them and you're ready for the next time you make pizza boats.  They only take about 15 minutes to defrost or just put them in a bowl of warm water for quick thawing.


Hugs,
        Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment