Friday, January 11

Peddi Girl's Spicy Tex Mex Skillet

Hello Friends!

As you know, I'm a girl who loves to save my family money.  I love to get the look for less.  In addition to that, I also love to find delicious frugal recipes to feed the family.  This is a segment I'm working on that I like to call  Five Dollar Family Feed.  I've made this yummy concoction a few times and this last time the hubs said, "I love this meal, it's so filling".  Now you may not know this but my hubby has been blessed with the thin and fit fairy.  With this point made, you should know that when he eats, he totally fills his dinner plate.  So, to hear him say how much he likes this meal and that it fills him up....all for around $5.00 makes it a hit!

This is a modified version of the Campbell's Soup recipe I found on the back of the can.  It's very good as is, but I prefer a little extra heat to it.




Peddi Girl's
Spicy Tex Mex Skillet

1 lb. ground beef or deer burger 
1 Can kidney beans (I prefer black beans) rinsed and drained
1 Can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes drained
1T Chili Powder
1/4 - 1/2 Cup chopped onion
1/8 - 1/4 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 Can Beefy Mushroom Soup
1/4 Cup Water
3/4 Cup Instant White Rice
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 Cup Shredded Cheese
Tortilla Chips



  • Cook the beef, onion and chili powder in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.

  • Stir the soup, water, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and beans in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.  Cook longer if you like it spicier.  The longer you simmer red pepper flakes in this, the hotter it gets. Remove the skillet from the heat.

  • Stir in the rice. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender.  Sprinkle with the cheese. Serve with the tortilla chips for dipping.

    Feeds a family of 4 for around five dollars, enjoy!



    Hugs,
             Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment